There’s a lot of talk about biodiesel these days, and that’s a good thing. Having high standards for the fuel you choose for your operation is a virtue in any farmer or fleet owner.
Many operations run successfully on biodiesel, but every situation is unique. Anytime you’re considering a new product, it’s important to make an informed decision. If you’re wondering whether biodiesel could be right for you, here are the basics you should know.
What is biodiesel?
Biodiesel is a domestically produced, clean-burning substitute for traditional petroleum-based diesel fuel. Most commonly, it’s made from soybeans.
Biodiesel is available either in pure form or blended with traditional diesel. Blends are indicated with a code corresponding to the percentage of biodiesel inside. For example, a B5 biodiesel contains 5 percent biodiesel mixed with 95 percent traditional diesel. Depending on where you live, the typical range is anywhere from B2 to B20.
Today, biodiesels are the most advanced they’ve ever been. Thanks to quality enhancements over recent years, the biodiesels currently on the market can meet the demands of a wide variety of operations.
The benefits of biodiesel
Anytime you make a change to your operation, you want to have confidence it’s going to pay off. After all, choosing the right fuel is an important decision. If you’re looking to make a switch, biodiesel can provide many advantages for your farm or fleet.
- It's easy to use. Biodiesel is one of the easiest alternative fuels to adopt because your equipment doesn’t need a single change to start using it. Practically any existing, unmodified diesel engine can run on biodiesel.
- It's environmentally friendly. Biodiesel can produce significantly reduced emissions compared to traditional diesel fuel. Not only is this a win for the planet, it also means improved air quality in your facilities for your family and team.
- It supports farmers. Because it’s often made from soybeans right here in the U.S., biodiesel directly supports American farmers. And for folks who are looking to reduce their dependence on foreign oil, choosing biodiesel is a simple way to support our country’s energy security.
- It's high-performing. Biodiesel blends provide similar performance compared to traditional diesel fuels. For example, the difference in energy content between B20 biodiesel and traditional diesel is less than 2 percent, and many users report minimal change in fuel economy.
- It's good for your injection system. Most diesel engines rely on fuel to lubricate the injection system. Insufficient lubrication will eventually cause an injection system to fail. Biodiesel provides excellent lubricity to extend the life of the fuel injection system to its full potential.
- It helps your engine run better. Biodiesel can increase engine performance thanks to added cetane, a colorless gas that helps diesel fuel ignite faster and cleaner. The faster a diesel fuel ignites, the better an engine will run.
Tips for using biodiesel
To use any product effectively, it’s important to know what considerations to keep in mind. If you’re thinking about using biodiesel, these tips will help you get the most out of your new fuel.
- Be mindful about water. In storage, biodiesel can be more prone to holding water compared to traditional diesel. Be sure to keep your tank clean by removing any water, and you’ll stop microbial growth before it happens. As an added benefit, CENEX® PREMIUM BIODIESELS contain demulsifiers that separate water out from your fuel so it can be easily removed.
- Use it in a timely manner. Over time, biodiesel can be susceptible to oxidation, a type of deterioration caused by the successive daytime warming and nighttime cooling of the product inside the tank. Check your tank’s owner’s manual if you’re unsure about the storage life your tank supports for biodiesel. CENEX PREMIUM BIODIESELS contain a storage stabilizer to extend their life, plus detergents and corrosion inhibitors to keep fuel systems clean.
The benefits of Cenex Premium Biodiesels
Your equipment is important to you, so choosing the right fuel for it is naturally important to you, too. If you decide biodiesel is right for your operation, CENEX PREMIUM BIODIESELS can give you the same time-tested benefits as traditional premium diesels.
Whether you’re a farmer or a fleet manager, both RUBY FIELDMASTER® and ROADMASTER XL® premium diesel fuels come in BIODIESEL BLENDS — each containing the same industry-leading, multifunctional additive package that’s standard-issue to every Cenex fuel.
Thanks to this proprietary additive package, CENEX PREMIUM BIODIESELS can help you maximize performance and fuel efficiency, reduce downtime and maintenance costs, extend injector and injector pump life, and experience quicker, smoother starts.
LEARN MORE about Cenex Premium Biodiesels and the performance enhancements they contain in each and every gallon. To find your local Cenex premium diesel distributor, use our online LOCATIONS FINDER.
Spread The Word